Centipede grass is native to China and Southeast Asia, but do well in temparate U.S. climates.
Please note that like all turfgrass, Centipede grass is a living plant, not a miracle grass. When properly maintained, however, Centipede grass will deliver years of an aesthetically pleasing and functional lawn.
- Winter color: Centipede does not enter a true dormant state during winter months and resumes growth when temperatures are favorable.
- Hot weather tolerance: Excellent, very tolerant to high temperatures up to 100 degrees.
- Cold tolerance: Goes dormant @ temperatures below 55 degrees.
- Spring green - up: Fair.
- Shade tolerance: Good-some varieties maintain adequate turf quality in 60% shade,tolerant of Pine tree shade.
- Wear resistance: Poor -slow growth patern-will not withstand heavy wear.
- Salt tolerance: Not as tolerant as St. Augustine.
- Mowing height: 1.5-2.5 inches (can be mowed 1 inch when maintained properly).
- Recovery from injury: recovers slowly from damage.
- Use: residential lawns and commercial.
- Root structure: Fine , shallow.
- Drought tolerance: Good
- Texture: Soft to the touch.